DCSI elections open Tuesday

Durham College’s annual student elections are taking place this week, starting Tuesday, March 10 at 9 a.m. and closing Thursday, March 12 at 4:30 p.m.

This year, three candidates will be running for the Durham College Students Inc. (DCSI) position of executive chairperson:

• Eduardo Akeson – Mechanical Engineering Technology program
• Jenna Peace – PR and Strategic Communications program
• Michael Shmelev – Human Resources program

The elections are being overseen by Elizabeth Thompson, chief returning officer at DCSI.

“DCSI is representative of all students and when we host these elections, we’re electing the students that are going to represent the corporation for a year. Without students, we cannot operate,” says Thompson. “We can’t run events for them and if we can’t do that, we’re not providing services to them. At the end of the day, that’s what DCSI is for.”

Students can vote online through an e-mail sent to their DC e-mail address or in person at voting booths set up at the school.

“By participating in the elections, you’re having your voice heard for who you want to represent you,” she adds. “They are the student voice at the college.”

Online voters will also be entered automatically into a ballot to win prizes such as Apple Airpods and Uber gift cards.

This year’s elections will be based on a new structure, where only one winning candidate will be named executive chairperson, as opposed to last year, where positions were open for president and vice-president.

DCSI decided two top positions weren’t necessary given the size of the school, Thompson says.

Nominations for the positions of director of six schools are still vacant and will re-open once the elections for executive chairperson conclude.

The vacant director positions include:

• School of Media, Art and Design
• School of Justice and Emergency Services
• School of Science and Engineering Technology
• School of Skilled Trades, Apprenticeship and Renewable Technology
• School of Interdisciplinary Studies
• School of Hospitality and Horticultural Science

Nominees have to be enrolled at Durham College in the next school year and have a minimum GPA of 2.0.

NO COMMENTS