Aly Beach and Cassidy McMullen
The president of Durham College hasn’t had a raise in five years, yet he is the highest paid employee at the school. Don Lovisa made $277,323.96 in 2017 – the exact number he made in 2013. The financials are released by the Ontario government on its public salary disclosure list, commonly known as the Sunshine list.
Lovisa is the only employee in Durham College to earn $200,000 or more annually.
The Sunshine list contains the names, positions and income of top earners in the Ontario public sector who make more than $100,000.
There were 108 employees at Durham College on the Sunshine list in 2017, which is about a 50 per cent decrease from 2016, when 217 employees were on it.
One reason for the drop was the faculty strike last fall in which many employees went five weeks without regular pay.
At the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT), 2017’s top earner was former president and vice chancellor, Timothy McTiernan, who made $323.455.96. McTiernan stepped down from his post earlier this month and was replaced by Dr. Steven Murphy. UOIT had 236 employees on the Sunshine list in 2017.
Among the educational, municipal government and public health sectors, the highest paid employee in 2017 was Matthew Anderson, CEO of Lakeridge Health, with an income of $491,755.90.
Here are some of Durham Region’s top entries on the Sunshine list in 2017 with comparable numbers from five years ago, on the 2013 Sunshine list:
Region of Durham
- Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) Gary H. Cubitt made $342,975.58 in 2017, compared to $320,000.04 in 2013.
- 1,284 employees made more than $100,000 in 2017, compared to 805 five years ago.
City of Oshawa
- City manager Jag Sharma was top earner with $263,381.75. In 2013, then-city manager Robert Scott made $276, 412. 55.
- In 2017, 255 employees were on the Sunshine list, compared to 2013’s 117 employees.
Durham Catholic School Board (DCSB)
- Catherine Anne O’Brien, director of education, was the top earner in 2017 with $216,793. Former director of education, Paul Pulla, was top earner in 2013 with $208,485.
- There were 240 employees making more than $100,000 at the DCSB in 2017 compared to 188 in 2013.
Durham District School Board (DDSB)
- Associate director and treasurer of the board David Visser had the highest income with $201,888 in 2017.
- There were 615 employees on the Sunshine list in 2017. In 2013, there were 347.
- The top earner of 2017 was Matthew Anderson, CEO, with an income of $492,755.90. The top earner in 2013 was then-CEO, Kevin Empey with an income of $428,049.47.
- In 2017, 342 employees at Lakeridge Health made more than $100,000 compared to 136 in 2013.
With files from Austin Andru, John Cook, Tiago de Oliveira, Shana Fillatrau, Kirsten Jerry, William McGinn, Conner McTague, Heather Snowdon, Shanelle Somers, Tracy Wright.