Investigative Journalism and Documentary Production
This program allows students who have graduated from related programs or possess experience in the journalism field to advance their skills through specialized reporting and documentary production, including writing, editing, digital production, research skills, investigative techniques and data journalism that will help add breadth and depth to their storytelling. Students will be able to masterfully weave together a compelling story in a documentary or long-form article that resonates with a diverse audience while gaining entrepreneurial potential to take their career to the next level.
You will learn to:
- Develop and produce a short documentary film demonstrating production and post-production expertise, including output to different formats.
- Create interactive web assets for a media project.
- Plan a documentary or feature pitch to a producer, broadcaster or distributor.
- Prepare a media proposal that includes financial, legal, marketing, and distribution.
- Locate data by investigating public records, and scraping websites & PDF’s for use in an investigative news story.
Students demonstrate the integrated learning of this program by creating a broadcast quality documentary or a long-form, investigative article. Using techniques learned in all courses, the students will produce a multi-platform project that is a capstone of their studies.
Trailer from 2016 Capstone Project